Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Stumbled Upon: Jungbu Market (중부 시장)

On my walk yesterday I randomly entered Jungbu Market in the Dongdaemun area. Although it is a lot smaller than the other major markets in Dongdaemun (Dongdaemun market and Gwanjang market being two that come to mind) it had its own character and some products that I haven't seen in other markets. Plus, how could you not love this entrance?
Just smile!
I walked around for a bit and just enjoyed being the only foreigner in the market. Sure, that meant some stares from the shopkeepers, but it also meant some friendly smiles as well. I was really excited to see dried fruits and nuts, and if I ever get around to eating a healthier diet I'll have to come back here for pecans and walnuts. Delicious! They also had various sizes of dried anchovies. Not as delicious... Apparently, as much as half of the dried fish trade goes through Jungbu market. Opening at 3 or 4 am for re-sellers, the market closes a little early (around 6 pm) so get there before dinner. Apparently, the area is also known for its mulnaengmyeon (cold buckwheat noodles) so I'll need to head back there with a friend for dinner.


맛있어!


To get there, go to Euljiro 4 Ga Station (을지로 4 가) and take exit 7. Walk straight and take the third left. After 100 meters, Jungbu will be on your left.

No comments:

Post a Comment