Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Recipe: Sesame Leaves in Soy Sauce ( 깻잎 장아찌)

I've been cooking a lot lately, especially since I've been doing lunch box (도시락) at school. Instead of eating the grossness of school lunch, a bunch of us each bring a side dish and we share it with rice. The ajjumas have been giving me recipes and I've been trying to cook Korean side dishes at home. Sometimes Usually, I fail. This one worked out pretty well though:

To start, boil equal parts water, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar (rice vinegar is fine) in a sauce pan. I did a cup of each.

Make sure you use quality soy sauce
 After the sugar dissolves, let your mixture cool down.

Washed sesame leaves
 Stack your sesame leaves in a storage container. The nicer stacked, the easier it will be to eat later.

Using an olive can to keep those leaves submerged
 Once the liquid has cooled down a bit, pour it over the sesame leaves. Ensure that they are completely submerged in liquid. Leave at room temperature for around 3 days. The longer you wait, the more flavor the leaves will absorb.


Your leaves will look something like this, but hopefully better stacked. This is one of my favorite side dishes. I just eat it with some rice and call it a day.

*Note, sesame leaves have a very strong taste and if you don't know if you like them, make a small portion. They are kind of a love it or hate it leaf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment