Friday, September 17, 2010

Going the Distance

Thursday nights have 5 leva shows at the theater in the Mall of Sofia. I ended up meeting up with Dian, who was one of the coordinators at my first Bulgarian language seminar in the summer of 2007, and a couple of his friends to see the movie Going the Distance with Justin Long and Drew Barrymore. Although it was a very predictable American comedy, it was enjoyable and decently funny.
I really enjoyed watching the Bulgarian subtitles and quickly remembering some vocabulary words that I had forgotten. Of course, there were also times that the subtitles did not match what was happening on the screen. Korea loved to do this. Taking curse words and replacing them with something more appropriate for polite company. When one character said 'f***er' they replaced the word with 'idiot', so of course I asked Dian how to say f***er. After he told me and helped me with my pronunciation, he immediately told me why I shouldn't use it. However, you never know when it might come in handy.
The movie is about a couple who quickly fall in love, but know that they have a deadline, since Barrymore needs to get back to Stanford to finish up grad school. They decide to try a distance relationship, and the movie explores the difficulties that are part and parcel of such a relationship. Of course, it got me to thinking about my own relationship, and how Byeong-Hun and I are trying to make it work in a much wider distance. It has only been about a month and a half, but it is not pleasant. I used to make fun of my sister, Anna, because she would ALWAYS be on the phone with Mike during their four-year long-distance relationship. Now that I have had a taste of the very real trials of a long distance relationship, I truly respect how much work and effort my sister put in for Mike. I'm already going crazy after a month and a half. I don't know how I'd fare if it was a whole year apart. Now, the time difference is easier, with just six hours separating us. However, we have such different work schedules that it is sometimes hard to connect. I just can't wait for October 15th, when we get to live together again!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait until Anna reads this. You were pretty hard on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marco!!! VICTORY!!! This made my day :)
    It's about time you wised up, It's kind of embarrassing how slow you are sometimes... :)

    ReplyDelete