Friday, July 1, 2011

Venezia


Venice was beyond beautiful. I think it is perhaps the most beautiful city I’ve ever seen. We spent the first day wandering around— not following signs and instead relying on the waves of people. There were tourists from everywhere, and a huge amount of Koreans. I was almost as excited to see Koreans as I was to see the Italian gem; I can’t get enough of Korea. We wandered about, but the route was anything but clear. Sometimes, we would have to go through tiny allies, but it was the only way to get to certain destinations. I especially liked St. Marco’s Square, but it was just as great to get lost in the numerous side streets.

BH in Saint Marco's Square
 

As the day grew on, the novelty of getting lost in these tiny allies wore off. I was exhausted near the end of the day, and just wanted to get back to our campground. I knew which way to go with cardinal directions, but we kept ending up at dead ends, and couldn’t make our way across the Grand Canal. The charm of the streets faded with hunger and exhaustion. Oh, the frailty of our bodies!
I did eventually find the way back to the bus station with the help of some other tourists. Back to our camping ground and spending the first night in our tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment