Monday, June 27, 2011

Ciao Bulgaria

The time has come. Ten months have gone by. Some of these months were super exciting. Some of them were pretty boring. I have learned a lot, but am definitely ready to move on. We met some really cool friends, but, with the help of technology and cheaper and cheaper airline flights, this won't be the end. I hope all of them can visit us in Korea and, if not, I'm sure we'll see each other stateside.
One of the most important things that happened while in Bulgaria was my disillusionment with politics. I always looked at politicians skeptically, but felt that there were some white knights out there who actually were out there to act as the voice of people. Living in Bulgaria, it is quite easy to see the motivation of politicians: money, power and influence. This insight helped me look at US politics with a more discerning eye. Although Bulgaria is not as democratized as the US, I would not say the US is a shining example of political enlightenment. I don't even know what that would look like.
This has helped shape my next steps. I was originally planning on getting my Masters degree in public policy, but I think it will more likely be in International Development or Economics. Diplomacy has lost its appeal for me. For now, I'm going to go back to Korea, teach English, and try to become fluent in Korean. I don't know how many years that will take!
From June 29th to July 28th, BH and I, along with our friend Katy, will be traveling from Venice down the Aegean Coast through northern Greece and making our way to Istanbul. It should be pretty epic, and I'll try to post some pictures and thoughts while we are traveling.
Чао България!

No comments:

Post a Comment